Twin-Screw Supply Vessel Delivered By Bender Shipbuilding
The r e c e n t l y delivered Lady Debbie (shown above) is the first of two twin-screw, 113-foot supply boats to be built by Bender Shipbuilding & Repair Company of Mobile for Keen Marine Services of Metairie, La. Constructed to a design of Maritime Engineering Services of Biloxi, Miss., the vessel is classed by the American Bureau of Shipping for Full Ocean Service, and meets U.S.
Coast Guard Subchapter I requirements.
Lady Debbie has an overall length of 113 feet 5*4 inches, beam of 26 feet, depth of 11 feet 2 inches, and design draft of 8 feet 6 inches. Her liquid capacities include: fuel oil, 21,400 gallons ; lube oil, 500 gallons; potable water, 1,900 gallons; cargo water, 19,400 gallons; and ballast, 21,000 gallons. She can carry deck cargo of 77.25 long tons; clear deck area aft is 48 feet long by 20.5 feet wide, and forward between the stacks 15 feet long and 13.5 feet wide.
Main propulsion is by two GM D e t r o i t Diesel 16V92 engines, each rated 600 bhp at 1,800 rpm, with Mathers single-lever pneumatic controls. Two 50-kw generators are driven by Detroit Diesel 4-71N engines, producing 1207 208-volt, 3-phase, 60-Hertz power.
A central air-conditioning and heating system by Carrier is installed in the forecastle house; it serves the pilothouse, crew quarters, heads, lounge, galley, and storeroom. Compressed air is provided by two Quincy D310 compressors, each driven by a 2-hp electric motor.
The 300-barrel liquid mud or calcium chloride system consists of two pumps, each driven from the front of the 4-71 generator diesels through Funk 1:1, reversing c l u t c h e d pump drives. A Barnes 5-hp unit pumps effluent from the 430-gallon sewage tank to a valved outlet on the main deck. The main bilge pump is a Barnes 25CCE, 15-hp unit with backup provided by the fire pump of the same model. Cargo water is transferred by a 5-hp Barnes 25CCE pump, with discharge in the forward main deck area. Fresh water service, with a 40-gallon hot water tank, is supplied by a 5-hp Barnes pressure set. The fuel oil transfer system consists of a 15-hp Barnes 25CCE pump that moves fuel from the aft tanks to the day tanks or to a valved deck outlet.
The USCG-approved s t e e r i ng system has two 71/2-gpm hydraulic pumps driven by 5-hp electric motors, one unit operating and one as standby at all times. The helm units are Char-Lynn model 211-1038 Orbitrols, one at the pilothouse console and one at the aft control station. Anchor handling is provided by a Skipper ST-34-E electric winch; the Danforth 500-pound anchor is attached to 7!/2 fathoms of 1-inch stud link chain and 100 fathoms of %-inch galvanized wire rope.
The painting system and materials were supplied by International Paints.
Electronics include a Raytheon model 4200 radar, Raytheon Ray 55 VHF radio, Intec 1500 SSB radio, Raytheon F720D flasher depth sounder, Ray Nav 3000 Loran C, Raytheon 350 Loudhailer, and RLB14ACR, class A emergency radio.
The second boat for Keen Marine Services, the Lady Beth, was delivered in December.
Other stories from January 15, 1981 issue
- Australia Fights Oil Spills With MARCO Class I Skimmers page: 6
- $53.2-Million Contract For Supply Boats Signed By Halter page: 7
- Riverway Shipyard Co. Completes Construction Of 120-Foot Tank Barge page: 7
- Twin Towing/Supply Vessels Delivered By Quality Shipyards page: 8
- Bulletin On New Fuel Oil Blending Unit Available From IMO page: 9
- Australia Receives First Of Four Gas-Turbine-Powered FFGs From Todd Seattle page: 10
- SNAME Los Angeles Section Hears Paper On Noise Control page: 10
- Kockums Sells LNG Ship To West German Consortium page: 10
- Twin-Screw Supply Vessel Delivered By Bender Shipbuilding page: 12
- Three Executive Changes Announced By Ellicott Machine Corporation page: 12
- RYSCO Delivers Another Tug/Supply Vessel To Billy Pugh Offshore page: 14
- APL And Port Of LA. Join To Develop New Container Terminal page: 14
- Electro-Nav To Furnish Electronics Parts And Service For Polish Ships page: 14
- RCA Adds Radiotelephone To Marine Equipment Line —Literature Available page: 16
- Fritz Named Supervisor Of Engineering Computer Operations At J.J. Henry page: 16
- Hitachi To Build Third Jackup Rig For Danish J.L Offshore Drilling page: 18
- J.E. Folsom Named Gulf Region Sales Manager For Hydranautics page: 18
- Simrad Introduces New Microcomputer-Controlled Loran C Navigator page: 19
- Tracor Marine Awarded $8-Million Contract By Rockwell International page: 20
- Joint SNAME/ASNE Meeting Hears Report On SPC Coating page: 20
- Bethlehem's Beaumont Yard Completes Jackup For Temple Drilling page: 21
- Bay Shipbuilding Launches Tank Barge For Hannah Marine page: 22
- Henschel Introduces New Ship's Bell Logger- Literature Available page: 22
- DeJong Designs Biggest Voith Schneider Tug Built In United States page: 23
- National Marine Gets Title XI Approval On $38.5-Million Orders page: 24
- Dravo Corporation Seeking To Acquire Ryan-Walsh Companies page: 26
- MARCO Seattle Christens New North Pacific Fishing Vessel page: 26
- Halter Delivers Two Crewboats For Service Offshore Brazil page: 28
- New Color Brochure On Escher Wyss Props Available At No Cost page: 28
- MSC Will Charter Sun Transport's New Product Carrier 'New York Sun' page: 28
- Belcher Towing To Add Powerful Docking Tug To Its Miami Fleet page: 29
- Heavy-Lift Derrick Barge Can Lift Up To 400 Tons page: 32
- Ingalls Awarded Fourth Keyes Offshore Contract For Jackup Drilling Rig page: 32
- Jacksonville P.A. To Spend $25.5 Million To Expand Blount Island Facility page: 32
- Wheelock Maritime Ltd. Orders Two Bulkers From China Corporation page: 33
- Norwegian Firm Offers New Control Option For Ship-Handling System page: 33
- Ingalls Shipbuilding Promotes Three To Vice Presdent Posts page: 34
- New Searchlight Announced By Phoenix Products- Literature Available page: 34
- McDermott Acquires Welding Equipment And Technology From Price page: 34
- McNab Announces Fuel Management System- Literature Available page: 34
- $7.7 Million Authorized For Improvements At Newport News Terminal page: 35
- Worthington Establishes Pump Specialty Shop For Replacement Parts page: 36
- A r e n d a l Y a r d Completes J a c k u p D r i l l i n g Rig For Swedish Owners page: 36
- SSB A n t e n n a I n t r o d u c ed By Phelps D o d g e - L i t e r a t u r e A v a i l a b le page: 37
- Fred Eisenbiegler Named To Board Of Trustees At Webb Institute page: 39
- New Offshore Mooring System Under Development In Scotland page: 39
- $180-Million Satellite Communications System Approved By INMARSAT page: 42
- Maencor Adds New Management Personnel page: 43
- Senermar Announce New Mini-Computer Version Of FORAN System page: 43
- Marland Licensed To Build And Market New Oil/Water Separator page: 43
- Rados International To Design Purse Seiners For Mexico page: 44
- Bay Shipbuilding Will Build Oceangoing Bulk Cargo Barge For Universal American page: 45
- Bergeron Launches 100th Vessel Built At Its Mississippi Facility page: 45
- General Ship Corporation Yard Is Purchased By Private Investors page: 45
- Oceangoing Tank Barge Launched At FMC Yard page: 46
- Electric Boat Launches Attack Submarine 'Baltimore' page: 46
- First Of Three Catug/Barge Units Christened At Avondale Yard page: 58
- SNAME Pacific Northwest Section Holds Meeting In Canada page: 58